It was definitely time for a weekend trip! I have been working like crazy and needed a break! When I need rejuvenated, I take a trip. Since I only had the weekend off, this one included visiting some great friends in Austin, TX.
I decided to give MegaBus a try and it was just wonderful. I can’t drive my Camaro round trip for $40 bucks that’s for sure! It’s a straight two hours and 25 minutes with no stops! It was the perfect time to spend working on my blog with Free Wi-Fi and charging ports are available. It could not have been easier or more enjoyable. I will be utilizing MegaBus on a future trip to San Antonio, TX. So stay tuned!!
Clock Tower At The University Of Texas
Today the Clock Tower at the University of Texas stands tall and proud, but it has a troubled history in its past. Charles Whitman climbed the observation deck armed with an assortment of guns. On the anniversary of this tragic event, the dark tower’s observation day is lit with a white cap.
- There are student-led, self-guided tours available for $6.00.
- Check Student website for further information and tour times.
What’s Eating Gilbert Grape
“What’s Eating Gilbert Grape” is a 1993 American film directed by Lasse Hallström. Starring Johnny Depp, Juliette Lewis, Darlene Cates and Leonardo DiCaprio.
This classic movie is set in the fictional town of Endora, Iowa, but filming completed in a suburb of Austin. Remember the water tower that Leonardo DiCaprio’s character loved to climb? It still stands today and is a historic landmark in Manor, Texas.
Austin, Texas – State Capitol
One of the things I love most about traveling is learning about the history of the place I’m visiting. Below are five things I learned, that I bet you didn’t know about the Texas State Capitol.
- The builders of the Texas State Capitol were given 3 million acres of land as payment for their work. The 3 million acres became the largest cattle ranch in the world.
- The current building design was selected through a national design competition.
- The architecture is late 19th century. The city created laws prohibiting any other buildings to block its view of the city.
- The Texas State Capitol is the largest in gross square footage of all state capitols.
- During your visit, don’t say anything you don’t want repeating! The rotunda is a whispering gallery.
McKinney Falls State Park
The Falls at McKinney State Park were quite dry from lack of rain over the past few months in Austin. We still had a great time hiking the trails and just enjoying the fantastic weather.
We got a rare glimpse of the caverns under the water with divers swimming down into their depths. I wouldn’t go down there that’s for sure! We had a family BBQ, and this amazing sunset was the perfect way to spend my last night in Austin.
Have you been to Austin, TX? Share your visit with me in the comments below!!!